PDA

View Full Version : cadet steering shimmer

sage karam
06-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Birel cadet kart steering shimmers on turns. Rapid shimmers, not kart hopping or corrective steeering. Driver can't stop the steering wheel from violent vibrations. Tried the following measures to solve problem : caster in/out(neutral), toe out/straight, new wheels/tires, scaled to what the kart was before problem began, rear in/out.
Looking for solutions.

Garry Lobaugh
06-21-2004, 05:51 PM
I'd start by taking the front end apart. My best suspect is the king pin bearings. As much competition that I've seen your driver in, my bet is that one of the bearings has fallen apart. They are inexpensive and yet can do so much damage to a good driver. Spares to always keep in the tool box are king pins and king pin bearings. Garry

sage karam
06-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Upon disassembly and close inspection, it was discovered that the Birel/Freeline spindle spacing washers were extremely worn. The elevated lip surrounding the i.d. of the washer was completely worn down. Replacement washers should solve the problem. Thanks for your response.

Garry Lobaugh
07-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the follow up on your discovery.

Garry Lobaugh
07-09-2004, 08:19 PM
at any stage have you tried balancing the front tires?
chris

sage karam
07-14-2004, 07:09 AM
tried balancing front tires, didn't work. Replacing the worn kingpin spacers solved the problem.
thanks