PDA

View Full Version : Kart tunning q31

Rick G
06-08-2004, 05:08 AM
Is there a guide for tunning Birel karts? I have an q31 in Yahama masters 360#. I have a good baseline setup thanks to our local dealer and Steve at MRP.
I have purchased two different books on kart chassis and they disagree on what should be done an example is...
One book states If the rear is loose move the front wheels in.
The second book states if the rear is loose move the front wheels out.
They both agree if the rear is loose move the rear in.

Thanks,
Rick G

Garry Lobaugh
06-08-2004, 09:21 AM
It all differs with the drivers style of driving. We suggest you attend oneof the MRP training schools this summer. Lacking that, we'll have one of the guys pop on here and attempt to answer the questions. garry

Rick G
06-12-2004, 04:51 AM
The school is probably the best way to learn more about driving and the kart setup. However due to time and work obligationsa I would not be able to attend till next year.

Rick G.

Jean Stafford
06-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Rick,
It all depends on where the Kart is loose in the turn. It can be loose on entry, through the middle, or on exit, and the "fix" is different for each place.

We drive two CQ31's and find the chassis adjustments should be approached using a minimalist approach. That is, small adjustments. We've founr that 2 mm adjustments on each side at the rear track to be significant, so don't make big moves.

If the Kart pushes on entry, widen the front end. If it pushes in the middle of the turn, try shorter hubs without narrowing up the rear track, and if it pushes on exit, narrow the rear slightly. And remember track conditions make a difference as well. The whole thing is a balancing act on the day of the race.

Remember, make adjustments at the smallest increment possible. Four mm at a time in front and two mm in the rear.

If we can answer any more questions don't hesitate to e-mail us, or check out the website and contact us.

Good luck.

Jean Stafford
www.staffordsracing.com