PDA

View Full Version : Helmet recomendations

Ron Scott
01-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I am looking to purchase a new helmet for my son. Price is not really an issue, I want the best. I see alot of the new designs that have areodynamic treatments on them. Has anybody had any experiance with one that seems to work any better than the other?
Factors seem to be lift, cooling, buffeting?
Of course poper fit will be important as well.
Thanks
Ron

JimmyS
01-26-2006, 04:44 PM
If price is not a factor then go with the Arai GP-5. It is used by many Formula 1 drivers. You can purchase this helmet through MRP or almost any kart shop. The helmet retails for $1,150 but I would recomend getting a painted one through MRP or having it painted.

Hope this helps Jimmy

Mark Grabill
01-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Just to throw my two cents in....before ANYTHING ELSE make certain the helmet has the proper SNELL ratings for the application. In addition to karts, I race sprint cars and can never get over how many guys I run with that use M Rated helmets. M is a rating designated for motorcycle "type" usage. SA rated helmets, or "Special application" are better suited to 4 wheeled vehicle racing due to the testing that Snell puts the helmet through to achieve this rating. Also make certain , since $$ is no object, that the Snell rating is from 2005. They update their helmet rating every five years and this would be the most current rating system that they are using. Personally, aerodynaic treatments are cool and I am sure that with open cockpit cars (ie. indy cars) they have their place, I am just not sure that the extra cost is worth it since the speeds are certainly not comparable.

rscales
02-03-2006, 03:49 PM
I am in a similar boat to the thread originator. Why would you recommend the GP-5 over the Arai SK-5, which is in the same product family, but specifically targeted to karting? I am only familiar with the product marketing and not the products specifically, but it seems like it is basically the same shell, but with a couple of features which in theory should make it better for karting. One is the more ventilation for the slower speeds of a kart, (GP-5 is targeted at F1, Cart and other high speed openwheel racing) . The other is that it uses liner materials with better air flow capabilities at typical kart speeds. Am I oversimplifying things, or have I missed somthing? I am in a dilema as for the coolness factor I would side with the GP-5, but am thinking that the SK-5 may be more suitable. Please share any insights.

on 26. Jan 2006 16:44 George wrote:
> If price is not a factor then go with the Arai GP-5. It is used by many Formula 1
> drivers. You can purchase this helmet through MRP or almost any kart shop. The helmet
> retails for $1,150 but I would recomend getting a painted one through MRP or having
> it painted.
>
> Hope this helps Jimmy

JimmyS
02-05-2006, 03:34 PM
The SK-5 does not have quite as much ventilation as the GP-5. The GP-5 shell is stronger, and it has 3 vents on top instead of 2. The liner does not affect its cooling very much. You can use a GP-5 in sprint cars and midgets or anything you do after karting. The Sk-5 is not flame retardent and can only be used in karting. If money is not an issue why not get the best.

Hope this helps Jimmy

rscales
02-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks. This helps me out alot. I wish they spelled this type of stuff out on the Arai web site. How did you glean this valuable knowledge?

Rob

on 5. Feb 2006 15:34 George wrote:
> The SK-5 does not have quite as much ventilation as the GP-5. The GP-5 shell is stronger, and
> it has 3 vents on top instead of 2. The liner does not affect its cooling very much. You can
> use a GP-5 in sprint cars and midgets or anything you do after karting. The Sk-5 is not flame
> retardent and can only be used in karting. If money is not an issue why not get the best.
>
> Hope this helps Jimmy
>