PDA

View Full Version : birel cr4?

john hamrick
09-12-2005, 06:04 PM
i was thinking of buying a birel that is said to be a cr4 with kaw.125,i dont know much about birel,can anyone help on some info about this chassis

Garry Lobaugh
09-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Most likely the kart was produced in 1993 or 1994. It was a good one at the time, what is it you want to know about the kart or the motor?

john hamrick
09-12-2005, 09:18 PM
was wondering if it was a good kart of its day.im coming off of a 02 biesse 100 pipe kart and wanted to go run around this area doing a little road racing,for fun more than anything,tired of points racing.saw the cr4 for a really good deal,thought someone might help me make up my mind,thanks

Garry Lobaugh
09-13-2005, 02:29 AM
New is better. Sometimes a really good deal is just what you pay for. Think about dealing with a local shop that can support your racing needs. I've seen it both ways, but most often a good shop will take pride in their work and support your information needs when and where you need it most. That is at the track.

An 02 vs. a 94? HMMM! doesn't seem to be much of a choice to me. The older karts are almost certainly going to need attention to the brakes which is by far the biggest concern for your on track safety. At any rate if you do decide to purchase the CR 4, we should have most of the parts or replacement items in stock.

IN buying a used kart, I look from the bottom up, that is look underneath the kart and that will tell more about the care and respect of the item by its owner. That's the best information I can offer at this time. Keep us posted. Garry

john hamrick
09-22-2005, 09:00 PM
well the kart has arrived and there are 2 questions i have for you ,i can pump the brakes and the only pads that move are the left fr.,i can feel a pulse in the lines if you hold it in your hand and pump the brakes,tried bleeding them,but nothing?
the other thing is that i know that it is and old kx125 (not sure of exact year)but the pipe is slung so low that it gets in the way of the right pod nerf bar,needs to be moved up,any ideals? thanks very much for your help.

Garry Lobaugh
09-22-2005, 10:25 PM
on 22. Sep 2005 21:00 john hamrick wrote:
> well the kart has arrived and there are 2 questions i have for you ,i can pump the brakes and the
> only pads that move are the left fr.,i can feel a pulse in the lines if you hold it in your hand and
> pump the brakes,tried bleeding them,but nothing?
> the other thing is that i know that it is and old kx125 (not sure of exact year)but the pipe is
> slung so low that it gets in the way of the right pod nerf bar,needs to be moved up,any ideals?
> thanks very much for your help.

Garry Lobaugh
09-22-2005, 10:27 PM
This is not un-expected for a 12 year old kart. It most likely will need a new brake system complete. I think we tried to warn of the dangers. An attempt to describe what to do regarding the brakes is a lengthy discussion.

The motor is out of my department.

john hamrick
10-14-2005, 08:05 PM
you said that it was a long story on how to repair the brakes on cr 4.how much would a rebuild kit for the brakes on this kart cost?again thank you very much for your time

Garry Lobaugh
10-17-2005, 05:46 PM
It depends on how bad things are inside. Ofter after such a long time, one has to replace the piston housing. $50 should cover the labor on an extensive job, now how much parts are after that is an unknown.