PDA

View Full Version : Pedal pushing ideas

Simon Fea
08-02-2005, 12:24 AM
Before we bought our Monza Z32A, I was looking at Birels and I noticed the rather ugly accelerator pedal stop. Pressing an alloy component hard against the corner of the head of a steel bolt didn't strike me as very elegant. On our previous kart (a CRG) I had made a copper stop, but in this case, even copper was going to be too hard.

I ground down the head of the 6mm bolt to make it a bit smaller then embedded it in a lead fishing weight. (Drilled a countersunk hole in the weight, put the bolt in, then hammered the lead around it.) After a few driving sessions, the lead has formed a nice V notch that the pedal pushes into. I think the lead has stopped forming now, so we have a pretty good solution.

I also didn't like the arrangement of the return spring for the brake pedal. The spring had to curl partly round the pedal. I put a 3/16 stainless steel split pin through the hole in the pedal, splayed out the ends, cut them off short and filed the sharp edges smooth. This left the split pin tightly embedded in the pedal, with it's head sticking out to the left. We can now hook the return spring into the head of the split pin and the spring now pulls in a straight line. Works well.

Because my son is quite tall, we have the pedals fairly far forward. This means that the 6mm bolts that stop the pedals falling back are at such an angle that they more or less miss the chassis member they are supposed to rest against. I haven't thought of a good solution to this yet .... any ideas?

Chris Lobaugh
08-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I know what you mean, but, no...nothing that would meet your criteria.

Simon Fea
08-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks anyway. We've currently got the return stop bolts bent down so that they contact the tubing at a better angle. Of course, we can't turn them now to adjust, but it works to some extent.
Simon

Chris Lobaugh
08-08-2005, 11:18 AM
That is exactly what I have seen done and had to do at the racetrack in a bind.