PDA

View Full Version : birel tanks

Chevy Almond
04-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Is anybody else having any problems with the shifter kart gas tanks cracking and leaking fuel everywhere? Because mine cracked.

R3kartiing
04-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Chevy,

Contact your dealer and I'm sure they will take care of you.

Garry Lobaugh
04-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Cracks often occur when customers fail to place the plastic spacer between the metal fram attachment point and the gas tank. This causes an overtightening or "pulling" of the brass fitting from the plastic tank and a rupture. As advised by the previous post, you should review this with your supplying dealer.

Sam Cooper
04-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Chevy -

Where is your tank leaking from?

I have seen the tanks leak from wear on the bottom of the tank from the floor pan (from track debris) and the nut pressed in the tank as Garry mentioned or even a loose fitting on the top of the tank will cause a crack to surface and cause fuel spill.

We have experienced this problem our self, and found that the tank had been overtightend - thus pulling the nut out of the tank...

A good rule of thumb - make sure your tank has the spacer between the tank and chassis (tank mount) and a "zip tie" is used to keep the "winged" fitting that is used to tighten your tank secure to the chassis so it won't back out from vibration.

Also having something under the tank to stabilize it from vibration is also good idea to reduce wear on the bottom of the tank - we have used toolbox drawer liners, but I have also seen mouse pads and other insulators as well.

Sam Cooper
Speedwerx Motorsports U.S.A.

David Hall
04-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Yes, we recently had the same problem on a non-shifter kart on which a shifter tank was installed as original equipment. It leaked around the mounting nut, and the "winged" mounting bolt had the plastic spacer in place. The kart is new, with about 4 hours of track time. I'm curious whether this is just happening to the shifter tanks and not to the non-shifter tanks?
David Hall