PDA

View Full Version : Birel HPV set up help

Tim Grainer
05-07-2005, 08:09 AM
Hey guys i'm looking to pick the brains of fellow Birel drivers and tuners. I've been out of karting about 15 years and just picked up a R32X from Lynn Haddock. I'll be running HPV heavy at Badger Raceway in Dousman Wi. I'll be doing a bunch of testing and just wanted some help with a base set up to start. Great to find this forum as I'm sure there will be many questions once I run. Thanks TIm Grainer

Chris Lobaugh
05-11-2005, 08:34 AM
If you got the kart from Lynn it's probalby pretty close to where you need to be. Front bar in, spindles either down or in the middle, 1.5 degree of castor in (the only way to tell is pull the kingpins out to see what "pills" are in it) F3 or F2.5 axle, one set of seat stays each side.
hope this helps
chris

Tim Grainer
05-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks Chris....I'm sure it is close right from him. We mounted a seat at his shop-made sure of that so it was correct or at least close. We put two seat struts on the right side (too stiff?). F2.5 med spindles. One question I do have is when I put the rear wheels out where they need to be, they stick out a couple inches beyond the sidepods. Lynn say thats how he ran it for Steve Welk. Just looks funny and I'm not sure on the rule on that. I ran for Lynn back in the mid 80's to early 90's---even worked in Chattanooga for him part of that time. He's definately the sharpest guy I've ever come acrossed Thanks for the info.

Tim Grainer

Tim Grainer
05-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Sorry medium Hubs

Chris Lobaugh
06-02-2005, 10:28 AM
If you put the wheels out to 55" then they will stick out past the side pods. It looks funny, but is legal. Birel has changed the shape of their side pod bars which puts the front of the pod out a bit more and squares the shape of the kart out a bit.
chris