PDA

View Full Version : Rotax Grands

Garry Lobaugh
10-18-2004, 05:39 AM
Congrats to Andy Sessman of Full Throttle Karting. Not only did he have a huge tent full of drivers, tune and assist many customers, but also won the Rotax Max Master Final! Great job.

Hats off to the Jr.Rotax drivers: It was a podium full of Birels. Top driver drove a R31 of some sort, our kid on borrowed equipment after being stolen in O>K> City wound up leading the most laps and finishing 2nd with an ill performing motor ( sounds like a Jr. dad with all of the same excuses) but it was a fantastic come back for a heartbreak situation. The kid time trialed poorly (29th) and manged to pull off a 2nd place. Now get this: Tim L. was laughing stock of the pits using an AR28 with 30 mm axle. But exhaustive advance testing told us that this was about four tenths faster at the So Bend track the previous weekend. Hats off the to great representation at Rotax Max Challange.

Thanks Andy for the tent space and hospitality. Garry, Tim and Chad Hartzell.

Andy Seesemann
10-18-2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks, Garry.

This was the 3rd straight year a birel won Masters. I believe Q31s took the last 2. I was on a R32-Sp with a 50mm axle. This is a very user friendly kart and amazingly consistent. I believe that my fast lap of the main was a 48.4, my last two laps were 48.5s. Tim told me that I must have gotten tired.

Two out of the last three years, a birel has won Junior Max. 2 years ago, Beason won on an AR-28. David Holland finished 2nd last year in Denton on the exact same kart and was the 3rd place finisher this year. I thought that an R-31 may have been too stiff for a Junior, but the Herda boy made it work. He is about twice the size of TIm "the lady killer" Megenbier, however.

Andy

Garry Lobaugh
10-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Upon further investigation: We know the 2nd place kart was our own ar 28 with a 30 mm axle. The axle was never changed, the hubs were the same as they started with. The problem in tuning was driver and motor. All Tim L did was work with the castor camber set up to get it roll through the corners. I'll try to get him to write up information for the forum.

In addition, the Holland boy out of Texas was also on an AR28.(3rd place) Now get this: Beason won with this very kart in the first Rotax Max Jr. Race three years ago. The Holland boy lead every lap last year in Denton except the last lap, with this very same kart. This year it came in third. Yes, the very same kart. How about that for a pedigree and longevity!
Get ready, we are going to market hard in our next national ad campaign the AR 28. Note that a week ago Top kart introduced their first 1020 wheel base kart. They made a big deal out of it. Here we have been sitting with the kart and not making much of a fuss about the thing. This thing comes in rectangular style body work ( faster) or the new CY version with the new style plastic. Also available are kits to convert old worn out AR 28's with the new CY material.

Garry Lobaugh
10-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Q31Z is the designation. This by the way was the model that Tim Lobaugh used to win the first international race in the inaugural event in Vegas three years ago. Dustin Courter went on to win the first Stars race on the track with the same model kart, but Hollis Brown then d.q.ed him after the race for rough driving. It was a most unfortunate incident. The Q31 Z has a huge following in this country for the medium built guy.

In your case we are most happy to see the new model CR32 SP win. I alerted Italy this morning and they asked me to pass along congrats to you as well. As I can see by the ekarting news fan club, you have a real following out there. Keep it up!

Chad Hartzell
10-19-2004, 01:56 PM
on 18. Oct 2004 22:18 Garry Lobaugh wrote:
> The problem in tuning was driver and motor.

FYI... The motor problem turned out to be a torn pulse line in one motor and a loose airbox bracket screw in the other, thus we were lean popping no matter what we did to either motor. We made the needed changes Thursday night after qualifying, and were on our way. The motor ran flawlessly the remainder of the weekend.

I believe that the 30mm was an excellent choice that Tim L. made. It was also the same setup that we ran with Timmy for all of the regional Rotax races on the tighter Midwest tracks with excellent results, so in my opinion, those results are not track-specific.

The other thing we noted was that we were running a gear about 2 teeth less than most, and Timmy was not only making passes on the straights, but also in the tight hairpin, and not just when he was working through the field, but also with the lead group. I think the 30mm contributed to his carrying better, smoother momentum into and out of the corner, but I'll defer to Tim to explain why.

Overall, I've learned more this past weekend than I have in quite a while. I think we've proved how important the whole package (Chassis, Driver, Motor, Chemistry) is to lead to success, especially when challenged and things aren't going right. Not having to focus on chassis really allowed us to focus on the other variables. We never doubted ourselves, and just went to work...

Chad Hartzell

Andy Seesemann
10-20-2004, 02:31 PM
After further review with mylaps, there is a revision in my statement about laptimes.

My fastest lap of the entire week was on the VERY LAST LAP OF THE FINAL.

I love my R32-Sp.

Andy

Garry Lobaugh
10-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Glad you do, too bad it is there is only one left in Three Oaks. I've had four calls since your win!

Dave Thompson
10-25-2004, 09:52 PM
I think I bought that Kart and I am now taking Bids.....

Dave

Pamela
10-26-2004, 05:39 AM
Birel Italy sends congratulations on a fine Victory, our compliments of presenting Birel in a professional manner.
MRP refers the news to us even though we may not always answer everyone as we would like to but Birel wants you all to know that we are proud to have MRP as its Importer along with his dealer network. It is indeed a pleasure to see everyone working together as a Team....

We are sorry for the late reply but better late than never.

Best regards,
BIREL SPA
Pamela

Andy Seesemann
10-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Thank you for the kind words, Pamela.

I look forward to meeting you in two weeks.

Regards,

Andy