PDA

View Full Version : Side Pods

Tom
08-04-2004, 03:13 PM
I am going to purchase a R30C-Y for my son to run as a Jr. Sportsman. What is the advantage/disadvantage with using the new plastic side pods as opposed to the old (square) style?

Garry Lobaugh
08-05-2004, 03:19 AM
The advantage is looks for the new style. The disadvantage: binding up the chassis. On the stop watch it appears that the few remaining old style R30 may be faster on the stop watch out of the box. The new style may take a bit of creativity to achieve the same goals. A lot depends on the horsepower and the tire selection as well as the drivers size.

Tom
08-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Gary, Thanks for the response. My son is 12 yrs, 85 pounds, 5'2". The two track we plan on running the R30 at have the following classes:

1. Jr. Yamaha Rookie, 3A carb, 3 hole can, wt. 285, YHC
2. Jr. Yamaha, 3A carb, 4 hole can, wt. 305, Tires open

I am trying to decide on what side pods to purchase as well as wheel (mag. vs Al). I assume you can still get the R30 with the old style pods.

Thanks, Tom

Garry Lobaugh
08-06-2004, 09:49 AM
The dealers and MRP have access to the old style pods and bars, The mag wheels are desired for the heat of the summer and a soft tire situation. The alum come standard with the base model. You will find sometimes we mix and match alum and mag on the track for certain conditions.