PDA

View Full Version : AR30 axle choice

Barry Nickerson
07-27-2004, 06:45 PM
I run an AR30 in senior lite, using a 200cc Honda four stroke, which axle would you recommend. I only ran the original M axle for a couple weeks before it got bent and I put on an f axle we had. I am 6' tall, 185 lbs.

Also, the front torsion bar has given different results, times are generally better with the bar on, but the kart feels better with it off. Does the bar add or reduce front grip?

Thanks in advance,
Barry

Garry Lobaugh
08-01-2004, 05:46 PM
I'll try to get you an answer this week once the technical group returns from the Stars East race. garry

Garry Lobaugh
08-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Hey Barry,
Since you've put the F axle in, what has the kart handled like? What do the times show? I normally start the weekend with an M and gradually soften the axle as the track picks up grip. Given your height you might be more apt to start with a short M or an F and gradually go softer with it from there. It really depends on the condition of the track and the tire compound. Let me know if this helps.
regards,
chris lobaugh

Barry Nickerson
08-04-2004, 04:55 PM
I tried a new 1040 M axle this weekend at my home track. It started a quite loose, especially on the faster turns, so I narrowed the rear to about 48", normally I'm at 50". Kart felt really good and the times were on par with my F axle, but it would not get thru our hairpin very fast, it seemed to be binding up, or just not having the kart rotate. In the feature I tried the front wheels all the way out, but with someone was pushing me for the lead I could not try much, so it was easy in, hard out. The hairpin of our track is quite rough. I generally run A Bridgestones, as the B's slide too much around the bumps.
The F axle felt as though it was bending in the corners, worsened when I tried the short hubs to loosen up the rear. I would start with a slight hop in the corner and it would get worse as I went thru the corner.
I recently added an additional seat strut to the ones on each side( 2 on each side), this seemed to make the rear looser, to rid me of the hopping. If I get a chance I will try only one per side, unless you have any input here too.
Thanks for the advice.
http://img.s10forum.com/Sigs/adi.jpg

Garry Lobaugh
08-06-2004, 10:39 AM
have you tried lossening the middle bearing cassete on the axle? If the M is too stifff and the F is too soft, you may need something in between. Either M with short hubs and or the middle bearing loose, or F with long hubs and two seat stays. hope this helps.
chris

Barry Nickerson
09-26-2004, 07:52 PM
We just finished a race weekend with a good amount of practice. With the front torsion bar off and the M axle it was way too loose. My times were as fast as ever but the kart was a real handfull. On the majority of our corners, fast and 90 degrees or less, the kart was neutral to loose, but down in the hairpin it was super tight and bicycling. I had the front tires all the way out and the rear at 48". Is there any thing that will tighten it up on fast turns but not cause it to bicycle in tight slower turns. The looseness was very inconsistent as well, sometimes it stuck fine then the next lap it would try to come around. Any ideas? I still have 2 seat struts on the right side as most of the corners are lefts, does the second strut add or reduce the rear grip?
Thanks in advance,
Barry

Garry Lobaugh
09-30-2004, 08:43 AM
It is difficult to say without watching your style of driving. When do you brake going into the hairpin?. Give me a distance in feet prior to the track surface making the turn.Where do you have the kart located relative to the turn in point? give me a spicific location compared to the hair pin corner. Thanks

Barry Nickerson
10-01-2004, 05:48 PM
I brake about 15 feet before the corner, and just before I turn in. I try to be very smooth with the turn in, and when I am the kart does not slide, but as it loads up in the middle half of the turn, even before the apex the kart starts to lift. It will go up quite quickly, and I have to enter the corner much slower than usual. If I chuck it in as I could do with my old Coyotes, the rear will hop, then bind and the exit is very slow. Coming from 15 years of driving the Coyotes I am comfortable with driving on 2 wheels, but the Birel tends to go up too quickly to drive out of it.
If I set the kart up to be neutral in this corner, it is undrivable on the rest of the track, way too loose. That is why I am trying to seperate this corner with the chassis setup. Most of the other racers also find their karts in the hairpin to be too tightas compared to the rest of the track. This effect is multiplied on cooler days when the tire track width narrows up.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Barry