PDA

View Full Version : too much grip, heavy steeering

Justin Mullins
07-05-2004, 09:47 AM
I have the Cr 32 SP, the steering is too heavy and its binding the chassis , I run no caster, m axle, med to long hubs the kart isn't hopping or jacking too much weight , it is just a problem in the front end. I narrow the front to 4 or 5 lines to reduce grip and have tried both ackerman positions. My next option is putting the caster pills back in but turning them around so i actually would be running negative caster; less caster then the kart comes with from the factory. ie top pill facing foward, if needed morew then the bottom facing backwards and the top facing foward. What are your thoughts on this or other solutions?

Garry Lobaugh
07-09-2004, 02:44 AM
I'll try to get the answer up on Friday. Garry

Garry Lobaugh
07-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Well,
My experience with the SP is that it does have a bit too much on the front end in relation to the back of the kart. When I arrive to the track at the beginning of the weekend I usually have the caster out. By the end of the weekend, however, I always have either central pill top and bottom or caster in. Sometimes, though, if you have a problem with the front of the kart it is because the back is creating the problem. If the axle or the kart is too stiff and it "overpowers" the front it will feel too heavy and will definitely bind the chassis. You might consider testing with the F (that is what we raced at New Castle) or possibly moving the seat back.
let me know if this helps or not.
chris lobaugh

Garry Lobaugh
08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
hey justin,
lots of times the driver will complain about the front being too heavy and it is actually because of the back of the kart. if the back of the kart has too much grip and you go and get on the brakes, the rear drives the front; especially if you are a late braker!!! try and move the axle up and see what happens. fro what it's worth, on a green track I have up to 1 full degree of caster out and gradully screw more castor in as the weekend goes on. let me know if this helps.
regards,
chris lobaugh